Are fond of chicken dishes but tired of the same old taste? If you love fried chicken but you are looking for some twist that could make it even more savory, then why not try this calamansi fried chicken recipe. Simple and quick to prepare, plus, this can take you out from being stuck to your usual recipe. Indulge yourself to this crunchy chicken dish that is also palatable because of ingredients like soy sauce, egg whites, cooking wine, corn flour, lettuce, white vinegar, calamanci juice, chicken stock, carrot, spring onions, cornstarch and seasoned with salt. Well, this recipe may have a long list of ingredients, but you will find it worthy once you have taste the outcome. Now you have you favorite chicken, but with new and refreshing recipe that can take you out of your same old way of cooking it. Try cooking this on your meal or snack, and have a taste for yourself. Plus, you can add its savoring taste by making a dip which is perfect for the fried chicken. You may use your favorite dressing, or a simple plain catsup may be, depending on your taste preference. Enjoy and happy cooking!
- 3 pcs chicken breast fillet
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 pcs egg whites
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- Cooking oil for frying
- Shredded iceberg lettuce to serve
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 10 pcs calamansi, juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup light chicken stock or water
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs of spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsps cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsps of cold water
- Toss chicken with the soy sauce and cooking wine and set aside for a few minutes. Lightly whip the egg whites until just frothy then whisk through the cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dip the chicken into the batter and shake off excess.
- Fry the chicken pieces for around six minutes, turning after three minutes, until lightly brown all over. Drain excess oil.
- Bring the sugar, vinegar, calamansi juice, salt and stock to a boil in a small saucepan or clean wok.
- Add the carrot and spring onion and toss until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for about one minute until thickened.
- Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the shredded lettuce.
- Pour the sauce over that and serve.