We Filipinos live for rice. But some days, you just want to change your normal routine of plain old white rice or sangag and just have another adventure. Java Rice, although it originated in Indonesia, has been altered and has given the Filipinos their own version.
With the addition of Annatto, this gives the dish that vibrant color of orange and a whole new taste to rice. And cooking it is just as exciting and simple as any other rice. Knowing how to toss the rice in the frying pan is enough. Try and make your own with this recipe!
- 5 to 6 cups warm steamed white rice
- ½ tablespoon annatto powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Melt margarine by using the microwave oven (about 10 seconds).
- Combine turmeric and annatto powder. Mix well.
- Put-in garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir until everything is distributed.
- Pour-in mixture on warm steamed rice. Gently mix so that the rice is coated by the mixture.
- Serve with Fried Pork Chop and Atchara.
- Share and enjoy!