Nothing is more comforting that the delicious soup especially during those raining afternoons and nights. Good thing we have the super easy recipe of Tom Yum soup for you to give it a try. Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.
While, traditionally, soups are classified into two main groups: clear soups and thick soups. These are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two; however, soups generally have more liquid than stews. Well, this recipe we have here is Tom Yum version which uses ingredients like chicken broth, fresh lemon grass, lime leaves, ginger galangal, tomatoes, tamarind paste, chili, fish sauce, sugar, straw mushrooms, shrimp, lime juice, stalk spring onions, and cilantro. Enjoy this soup alone or as side dish to meals. Try it no and happy cooking!
- 800 ml. chicken broth
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced in 2-inch pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 thumb sized ginger galangal or ginger, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, wedges
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 red chilis, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 can straw mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- 500g large shrimp, peeled with tails on
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 stalk spring onions, sliced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- Bring the stock to a boil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, tomatoes, tamarind paste and chilis. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add the fish sauce, sugar, and mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes. Toss in the shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, spring onions, and cilantro.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot.