As Filipinos have strong taste on foods, we can’t resist but to add more spices to our different dish. That is why we have many native dishes that is really spicy. Like for instance in Bicol region where mostly of the dishes are made spicy by chili and other spices found in our local products. Well, some people can’t satisfy their taste buds until adding spice to their meals. Great opportunity here that we have this ilonggo kansi recipe which is full of spices, herbs and other ingredients such as lemon grass, onions, ginger, hot pepper, atchhuete powder, batwan fruit, sinigang mix, green unripe jackfruit, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. This dish is a perfect comforting food during those cold raining nights, perfect to warm your stomach with its hot soup and spicy flavor. Though this dish is also great to serve with cooked rice as side dish, you can also enjoy this recipe alone. A mouthwatering dish, so cook it now using this easy to follow recipe and add this to your file of dishes to cook during gatherings and simple get together with family and even with friends. Surely they will love visiting you as you put this palatable dish on the dining table. Or perhaps, you are just looking for comforting food to enjoy by yourself. Happy cooking!
- 1 kilo Beef Shank
- Lemon grass (2 stalk)
- 2 medium onions
- Fresh ginger (1/2 cup, sliced)
- 2 long hot pepper
- Atchuete powder(1 Tablespoon)
- 6 pcs. batwan fruit (a souring agent for soup that is locally famous and widely used in Visayas) or Sinigang mix (1 pack or to taste)
- 1/4 kilo green unripe Jackfruit ( sliced )
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Saute garlic and onions
- Add beef and ginger into the pot and pour just enough water to cover most of the meat
- Leave it to boil for about an hour to two hours until the meat is soft.
- Lower heat to simmer, add more water into the pot until meat is completely submerged
- Mix in batwan fruit or sinigang mix, salt, and pepper (we used about half of the pack of sinigang mix, if you want it more sour use the whole pack)
- Mix in pepper (add more if you want it to be spicier)
- Put in sliced green jackfruit
- Leave to simmer until jackfruit is cooked and beef is very soft
- When it’s almost done, put in lemongrass (tie it into a knot) and atchuete for color
- Simmer for about 10 minutes and serve with hot rice.