The Filipino cuisine contains lots of dishes cooked in a way that really reflects our rich culture. However, we adopt some dishes from foreign countries and prepare it while adding a taste of our own. One delicious example of it is this pinoy-style ribs recipe that will surely can’t help you but to get a plate. This pork spareribs are made flavorful using spices and seasonings such as onions, soy sauce, black pepper, star anise, vegetable oil, ginger, honey, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. This may take long time preparation, but don’t let this fool you. Surely that the outcome will justify it. This delicious, sweet yet sour, and meaty dish is great to serve along with newly cooked rice as viand. Besides, great for those date night with your love ones as this meaty dish can complement the taste of wine. So make your simple meals extra special by making this recipe. Try it now and have a taste of it by yourself. Also, a very satisfying dish to share with family and friends during those get together, celebrations and even to those simple bonding. Indulge yourself into this delectable pork spareribs recipe, a really finger licking good food!
- 6 pounds pork spareribs
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 whole star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place ribs in a 5 to 6 quart stock pot with the 2 wedged onions, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, pepper and star anise. Bring all to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer in meat juices until ribs are tender when pierced, about 1 1/4 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add remaining chopped onion and saute, stirring often, until onion is soft. Blend in the ginger, honey, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Cook all together, stirring, until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Using tongs, remove ribs from stock pot and arrange in a single layer in an 11×16 inch baking dish. Brush evenly with the honey mixture and bake in the preheated oven, basting often with pan drippings, about 30 minutes or until ribs are well glazed.