Filipinos have a strong sense of taste that is why we have dishes in Pinoy cuisine that have a really distinguished flavor. Like for instance in Bicol region where mostly of the dishes are made spicy by chili and other spices found in our local products. Well, some people can’t satisfy their taste buds until adding spice to their meals. Great opportunity here that we have spicy sweet and spicy squid recipe for you to try. A great choice of dish to cook especially if you like sea foods. This dish is made delectable using ingredients like garlic, chili, soy sauce, brown sugar, tomato ketchup and seasoned by salt and pepper. If you prefer more spicy taste, you can add the amount of chili. A really mouthwatering dish great for serving with newly cooked rice as a viand for lunch and dinner. Cook it now using this easy to follow recipe and add this to your file of dishes to cook during gatherings and simple get together with family and even with friends. Surely they will love visiting you as you put this palatable dish on the dining table. Or perhaps, you are just looking for comforting food to enjoy by yourself on those raining evenings. Guaranteed that this spicy dish will give your stomach a delicious warm.
- 1.5 lbs squid, backbone removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece chili, (siling labuyo) minced (you can add more if you prefer more spicy)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Drain squid in a colander for about 15 -20 minutes. (This is important because squid produces lots of water during cooking. Draining it beforehand will minimize water production later) Slice each squid into three to four pieces to produce squid rings.
- Heat oil in cooking pan or wok then add in the garlic and pepper. Saute for about two minutes while constantly tossing to prevent the garlic from being burnt.
- Add in the sugar and the soy sauce and stir mixture for 2 minutes. Add in squid and let cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the squid is tender. Stir occasionally. At this stage, squid will produce more water.
- Once the squid is tender, add in ketchup and stir until the ketchup is evenly distributed. Turn off heat and serve hot.